Vincenzo G. Fiore
2012 – PhD in Psychobiology and Psychopharmacology, Sapienza – Università di Roma, IT, Jan 2012.
Thesis Pdf – 2011_PhD_dissertation
2007 – Master of Science by Research, major Philosophy of Mind. University of Edinburgh, UK, Oct 2007.
Dissertation abstract – http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/1906
Dissertation Pdf – Under the spell Of Multiple Realizability
2005 – Laurea in Philosophy, major Cognitive Science, Università degli Studi di Siena, IT, Nov 2005
Tesi in pdf – Analisi Matematica e Mente
September 2018 – present – Postdoctoral Fellow. Department of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NY, USA.
Neural, reinforcement learning and Bayesian models of healthy and aberrant behaviour in human and non-human animals. Model-based fMRI analysis and dynamic causal modelling of brain dynamics in healthy and substance use dependent volunteers.
Jan 2016 – August 2018- Research Associate. School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, UTD, Dallas, USA.
Computational models of healthy and aberrant behaviour in human and non-human animals. Task development and fMRI analysis in healthy and substance use dependent volunteers.
Jan 2013 – Nov 2015 – Research Associate. Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute of Neurology, UCL, London, UK.
Neural models of decision making and action selection in human and non-human animals. Task development and fMRI analysis in healthy and Parkinson’s disease volunteers.
Oct 2007 – Oct 2012 – Intern (2007-08) and Early Stage Researcher (2008-12). Laboratory Of Computational Embodied Neuroscience, ISTC-CNR, Rome, IT.
Neural network programming (Matlab and C++) focusing on learning processes, motivations, stress coping and action selection in bio-inspired systems.
2016-18 – Supervision of PhD and undergraduate students, UTD.
2017-18 – Temporary lecturer: “Introduction to Neuroscience” course, UTD.
Jul 2017 – Invited talk: “Computational Psychiatry” course, UCL.
Jul-Dec 2016 – Instructor: “Matlab methods”, weekly lab meetings, UTD.
Jan 2015 – Instructor: “Connectionism: structures to functions”, workshop for MSc students, UCL.
Feb-Mar 2012 – Temporary lecturer: “Computational embodied neuroscience” course, Sapienza – Università di Roma.
- Fiore VG, Ognibene D, Adinoff B, Gu X. 2018. A Multilevel Computational Characterization of Endophenotypes in Addiction. ENeuro. 5(4).0151-18.2018; doi:10.1523/ENEURO.0151-18.2018
- Fiore VG, Nolte T, Rigoli F, Smittenaar P, Gu X, Dolan RJ. 2018. Value Encoding in the Globus Pallidus: fMRI reveals an interaction effect between reward and dopaminergic drive. NeuroImage. 173:249-257. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.02.048
- Fiore VG, Kottler B, Gu X, Hirth F. 2017. In silico interrogation of insect central complex suggests computational roles for ellipsoid body in spatial navigation. Front Behav Neurosci doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00142
- Fiore VG, Rigoli F, Stenner MP, Zaehle T, Hirth F, Heinze HJ, Dolan RJ. 2016. Changing pattern in the basal ganglia: motor switching under reduced dopaminergic drive. Sci. Rep. 6: 23327. doi: 10.1038/srep23327
- Hauser TU, Fiore VG, Moutoussis M, Dolan RJ. 2016. Computational psychiatry of ADHD: Neural gain impairments across Marrian levels of analysis . Trends Neurosci., doi: 10.1016/j.tins.2015.12.009
- Fiore VG, Dolan RJ, Strausfeld NJ, Hirth F. 2015. Evolutionary conserved mechanisms for the selection and maintenance of behavioural activity. Philosophical Transactions B. 370, 20150053 . DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0053
- Fiore VG, Mannella F, Mirolli M, Latagliata EC, Valzania A, Cabib S, Dolan RJ, Puglisi-Allegra S, Baldassarre G. 2015. Corticolimbic catecholamines in stress: a computational model of the appraisal of controllability. Brain Structure and Function.220(3):1339-1353. Epub 2014 Feb 28 Doi: 10.1007/s00429-014-0727-7
- Fiore VG, Sperati V, Mannella F, Mirolli M, Gurney K, Friston K, Dolan RJ, Baldassarre G. 2014. Keep focussing: striatal dopamine multiple functions resolved in a single mechanism tested in a simulated humanoid robot. Front. Psychol. 5:124. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00124
- Taffoni F, Formica D, Schiavone G, Scorcia M, Tomassetti A, Polizzi di Sorrentino E, Sabbatini G, Truppa V, Mannella F, Fiore VG, et al. 2013. The “Mechatronic Board”: A Tool to Study Intrinsic Motivations in Humans, Monkeys, and Humanoid Robots. In G.Baldassarre and M.Mirolli (Eds.): Intrinsically Motivated Learning in Natural and Artificial Systems, Springer Berlin Heidelberg pages 411-432
- Baldassarre G, Mannella F, Fiore VG, Redgrave P, Gurney K, Mirolli M. 2013. Intrinsically motivated action-outcome learning and goal-based action recall: a system-level bio-constrained computational model. Neural Netw. 41:168-187. doi: 10.1016/j.neunet.2012.09.015
Preprint in pdf – http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0893608012002560
- Fiore VG. 2010. Multiple realizations of the mental states – hunting for plausible chimeras. In M. D’Agostino et al. (Eds.): New Essays in Logic and Philosophy of Science, Kings College Publications: London, pages 529-538.
Preprint in pdf.
- Fiore VG, Mannella F, Mirolli M, Gurney K, Baldassarre G. 2008. Instrumental Conditioning Driven by Neutral Stimuli: A Model Tested with a Simulated Robotic Rat. In M. Schlesinger et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 8th conference on Epigenetic Robotics, in University of Sussex, UK. Lund University Cognitive Studies, 139, pages 13-20.
Final version in pdf.
My page on Google SCHOLAR
- Rizzoni, M. Calvano, R. et al. 2014. Libro Bianco – Università e Ricerca. Guidoni U, Fiore VG, et al. (Eds.) Rubbettino editore. ISBN 9788849841237
- FENS forum of Neuroscience 2018. Berlin, DE, July 2018
- SfN, Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. Washington DC, US, November 2017.
- 12th International Basal Ganglia Society Meeting. Mérida, MX, March 2017
- NIPS2016 Workshop: Imperfect Decision Makers. Barcelona, ES, December 2016
- UT Dallas – UC Berkeley Symposium, Reprogramming the Brain to Health: Computational Psychiatry and Neurology. Dallas, USA, 2016
- Genetics Society Autumn Meeting, Building the brain: from genes, to circuits and cognition. London, UK, November 2015
- FENS, Brain Conference – Bridging Neural Mechanisms and Cognition. Rungstedgaard, DK, April 2015
- CNS, annual meeting of the Cognitive Neuroscience Society. Boston, USA, April 2014.
- Workshop on Intrinsic Motivations and Open-ended Learning, Roma, IT, June 2013.
- ICDL-EPIROB – Joint IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning and on Epigenetic Robotics. Frankfurt am Main, DE, August 2011
- SfN, Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. San Diego, USA, November 2010.
- BCCN, Bernstein Conference on Computational Neuroscience. Frankfurt am Main, DE, October 2009.
- EPIROB 8: Epigenetic Robotics Conference, Sussex Univ., UK, July 2008
- PPNB, Philosophy of Psychology, Neuroscience, and Biology. Bristol, UK, March 2007.
mailto: vincenzo.g.fiore (at) gmail.com
>> Download full CV (in English)
(last update: March 2018)