Vincenzo G. Fiore
My page on Google SCHOLAR
2012 – PhD in Psychobiology and Psychopharmacology, Sapienza – Università di Roma, IT, Jan 2012.
Thesis Pdf – 2011_PhD_dissertation
2007 – Master of Science by Research, major Philosophy of Mind. University of Edinburgh, UK, Oct 2007.
Dissertation abstract – http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/1906
Dissertation Pdf – Under the spell Of Multiple Realizability
2005 – Laurea in Philosophy, major Cognitive Science, Università degli Studi di Siena, IT, Nov 2005
Tesi in pdf – Analisi Matematica e Mente
Jan 2016 – present – Research Associate. Centre for BrainHealth, UTD, Dallas, USA.
Computational models of addiction in humans (focus on the neural dynamics of corticostriatal circuits) and spatial navigation in insects (focus on the neural dynamics of the central complex). Task development and data analysis (behaviour and fMRI) in healthy and addict individuals (nicotine and cocaine). Supervision of PhD and undergraduate students.
Jan 2013 – Nov 2015 – Research Associate. Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute of Neurology, UCL, London, UK.
Neural models of decision making and action selection in humans (corticostriatal circuits) and insects (central complex), under aminergic modulation. Task development and data analysis (behaviour and fMRI) in healthy and Parkinson’s disease volunteers.
Oct 2007 – Oct 2012 – Intern (2007-08) and Early Stage Researcher (2008-12). Laboratory Of Computational Embodied Neuroscience, ISTC-CNR, Rome, IT.
Neural network programming (Matlab and C++) focusing on learning processes, motivations, stress coping and action selection in bio-inspired systems. Dynamics and effects of catecholamine releases in Cortex and striatum (dopamine and noradrenaline in particular).
Aug-Dec 2017 – Temporary lecturer: “Introduction to Neuroscience” course, UTD.
Jul 2017 – Invited talk: “Computational Psychiatry” course, UCL.
Jul-Dec 2016 – Teacher: “Matlab methods”, weekly lab meetings, UTD.
Jan 2015 – Teacher: “Connectionism: structures to functions”, workshop for MSc students, UCL.
Feb-Mar 2012 – Temporary lecturer: “Computational embodied neuroscience” course, Sapienza – Università di Roma.
- Fiore VG, Kottler B, Gu X, Hirth F. 2017. In silico interrogation of insect central complex suggests computational roles for ellipsoid body in spatial navigation. Front Behav Neurosci doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00142
- Fiore VG, Rigoli F, Stenner MP, Zaehle T, Hirth F, Heinze HJ, Dolan RJ. 2016. Changing pattern in the basal ganglia: motor switching under reduced dopaminergic drive. Sci. Rep. 6: 23327. doi: 10.1038/srep23327
- Hauser TU, Fiore VG, Moutoussis M, Dolan RJ. 2016. Computational psychiatry of ADHD: Neural gain impairments across Marrian levels of analysis . Trends Neurosci., doi: 10.1016/j.tins.2015.12.009
- Fiore VG, Dolan RJ, Strausfeld NJ, Hirth F. 2015. Evolutionary conserved mechanisms for the selection and maintenance of behavioural activity. Philosophical Transactions B. 370, 20150053 . DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0053
- Fiore VG, Mannella F, Mirolli M, Latagliata EC, Valzania A, Cabib S, Dolan RJ, Puglisi-Allegra S, Baldassarre G. 2015. Corticolimbic catecholamines in stress: a computational model of the appraisal of controllability. Brain Structure and Function.220(3):1339-1353. Epub 2014 Feb 28 Doi: 10.1007/s00429-014-0727-7
- Fiore VG, Sperati V, Mannella F, Mirolli M, Gurney K, Friston K, Dolan RJ, Baldassarre G. 2014. Keep focussing: striatal dopamine multiple functions resolved in a single mechanism tested in a simulated humanoid robot. Front. Psychol. 5:124. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00124
- Taffoni F, Formica D, Schiavone G, Scorcia M, Tomassetti A, Polizzi di Sorrentino E, Sabbatini G, Truppa V, Mannella F, Fiore VG, et al. 2013. The “Mechatronic Board”: A Tool to Study Intrinsic Motivations in Humans, Monkeys, and Humanoid Robots. In G.Baldassarre and M.Mirolli (Eds.): Intrinsically Motivated Learning in Natural and Artificial Systems, Springer Berlin Heidelberg pages 411-432
- Baldassarre G, Mannella F, Fiore VG, Redgrave P, Gurney K, Mirolli M. 2013. Intrinsically motivated action-outcome learning and goal-based action recall: a system-level bio-constrained computational model. Neural Netw. 41:168-187. doi: 10.1016/j.neunet.2012.09.015
Preprint in pdf – http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0893608012002560
- Fiore VG. 2010. Multiple realizations of the mental states – hunting for plausible chimeras. In M. D’Agostino et al. (Eds.): New Essays in Logic and Philosophy of Science, Kings College Publications: London, pages 529-538.
Preprint in pdf.
- Fiore VG, Mannella F, Mirolli M, Gurney K, Baldassarre G. 2008. Instrumental Conditioning Driven by Neutral Stimuli: A Model Tested with a Simulated Robotic Rat. In M. Schlesinger et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 8th conference on Epigenetic Robotics, in University of Sussex, UK. Lund University Cognitive Studies, 139, pages 13-20.
Final version in pdf.
- Rizzoni, M. Calvano, R. et al. 2014. Libro Bianco – Università e Ricerca. Guidoni U, Fiore VG, et al. (Eds.) Rubbettino editore. ISBN 9788849841237
- SfN, Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. Washington DC, US, November 2017.
- 12th International Basal Ganglia Society Meeting. Mérida, MX, March 2017
- NIPS2016 Workshop: Imperfect Decision Makers. Barcelona, ES, December 2016
- UT Dallas – UC Berkeley Symposium, Reprogramming the Brain to Health: Computational Psychiatry and Neurology. Dallas, USA, 2016
- Genetics Society Autumn Meeting, Building the brain: from genes, to circuits and cognition. London, UK, November 2015
- FENS, Brain Conference – Bridging Neural Mechanisms and Cognition. Rungstedgaard, DK, April 2015
- CNS, annual meeting of the Cognitive Neuroscience Society. Boston, USA, April 2014.
- Workshop on Intrinsic Motivations and Open-ended Learning, Roma, IT, June 2013.
- ICDL-EPIROB – Joint IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning and on Epigenetic Robotics. Frankfurt am Main, DE, August 2011
- SfN, Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. San Diego, USA, November 2010.
- BCCN, Bernstein Conference on Computational Neuroscience. Frankfurt am Main, DE, October 2009.
- EPIROB 8: Epigenetic Robotics Conference, Sussex Univ., UK, July 2008
- PPNB, Philosophy of Psychology, Neuroscience, and Biology. Bristol, UK, March 2007.
mailto: vincenzo.g.fiore (at) gmail.com
>> Download the full CV (in English)
(last update: July 2017)